Solution to Prevent Duplicate Entry

Same concept applies for Pages. Still best to use a custom form for this.

Great, thanks!

1 Like

Does anyone have a copy of https://flying-can-2202.glideapp.io/ saved to copy? Or another example of duplication prevention with creating and deleting a row if it duplicates an existing row.

You can make a copy of my Custom Forms concept App. It shows how to prevent duplicates.
It’s a Classic App, but the technique is basically the same.

1 Like

Thank you.
I tried to do as in your application. With additional fields in rows everything is clear. But many design elements are not available to me (either because Glide has changed, or because of the free tariff).
I want to apply the simplest solution. Temporarily creating a duplicate string is acceptable to me.

Darren, I found a bug in your application.
When adding a new animal, the “Go back” action does not work after pressing the Save button. You can press Save button several times and get duplicate records. But in the Cancel button the “Go back” action is executed normally.
How to fix it?
PS
Solved the problem by moving “Go back” in the action to any position except the last.

I don’t have time to test it fully right now, but I just had a quick look and I would guess that the bug is probably with the Delete Row action shown below:

If the relation is empty, then that step will fail and the Go Back won’t be executed.
That Delete Row action isn’t actually required. The only reason it is there in the concept App is to prevent the row count from building up.

Solved the problem by moving “Go back” in the action to any position except the last.

You can’t, but if you look under Settings->Sharing, you might see an option to hide the About screen.

I would discourage you from doing anything serious with a copy of a Classic App.
Use the technique, sure. But use it in a new App. Classic Apps will go away at some point in the future.

1 Like

There is no such option on the free plan…
Where will the feedback be sent to?

It will be sent to the owner of the Glide account that the App is in.

Thank you!

Daren, If you don’t mind, I made a simplified template based on your app, but on Glide 2 elements. It will be easier for new users to apply it to their tasks, than to use made as Classic app.

2 Likes

honestly, I’ll never understand the reason for so many columns, it’s enough that the relationship of the custom form, through the name column, is not empty, an alert appears saying that the name already exists and the send button is hidden… I don’t know the reasons existence of boolean and matrix columns.

1 Like

To add a new record, just check that the link via name is not empty.
And when we change existing record and don’t want to change the name (only picture), won’t the name locking be enabled? That’s what matrix columns are for.
Of course, can simplify things. If you show us example, we’d appreciate it.

so do you use the same custom form for editing as well? this explains some issues. in my applications I use it only to insert new lines to avoid duplicates.

Forms are different, but the temporary table is common.

want like this enough to teach or not

want like this enough to teach or not please

I don’t understand your message. Write a more detailed sentence.

1 Like