Row count wrong

My app’s URL: https://arrogant-yam-4976.glideapp.io/

The row count is displaying 70,757/25,000 but I count around 20,000.

Dont you have empty rows with an array formula?

Every time we’ve looked at a situation like this, there was one column in the sheet somewhere with an ARRAYFORMULA creating lots of empty-looking rows.

I checked that and deleted all extra rows that the array formula generated

Looks like it’s fixed now! Not sure how but it is. Thank you :pray:

My app is suffering from the same problem. About double the Sheets row count than what I actually have in my Sheets. I do use ArrayFormulas, but none are creating extra rows. In fact, none of my worksheets have extra blank rows. I keep them all as long as the most recent data. Simply adding up the last row number of every worksheet brings the count to half of what’s displayed. That even includes App: Comments and App: Logins (which shouldn’t be included in the count).

app url: https://www.remarkist.com

Do rows added to Glide Tables increase the number of rows calculated by Glide against the 25k limit? I was under the impression that they do not, and that it only applies to rows added to Google Sheets. Yet I have some older Glide Tables that are increasing that Row Count while any new Glide Tables I create do not. What’s going on here? I took a video and put in an official support request a couple days ago, but just want to double check with the community on that.

Glide Table rows do count towards your total row count. The one thing Glide Tables helps prevent is Sheet Edits (those are zero with Tables).

But the documentation specifically touts Glide Tables as being able to hold considerably more data than Google Sheets. This would be contradictory to that. Also, my support video shows new Glide Tables that I create not increasing my row count when I add to them. Only old ones increase the count. So there’s something buggy going on.

I’ve also only noticed this recently… I used to count my Google Sheet rows like a hawk and compare them to that row counter and it was never seemed off. @Mark or @david can you please lend some insight here? I’ve been digging through support documentation for an answer to this. The only thing I can find that seems to support my assumption that Glide Tables don’t count against that 25k limit is the statement that they can hold much more data than a Google Sheet.

Interesting… that my understanding was that Glide Tables can hold more than 25K rows, but are still limited to that for now, though that limit isn’t enforced in Tables haha.

Things may have changed recently though, I’m not 100% sure!

Yeah, I would really love some clarity on that. I’m investing a massive amount of time on a community product based on Glide and we’re racking up a lot of rows.

base your data set on google sheets if possible, you can hold 5mil cels there, and use Glide just as a display.

Yeah, as far as I know 25k is not enforced and you can exceed it without issue. I think it’s more of a theoretical limit (especially between glide and google sheets) where you could run into bottlenecks if you are moving a lot of data around. I think the most important thing to consider is the glide server/user connection, and how much data you are forcing the user to download every time they open the app. Row Owners will definitely cut that number down.

So image a table with 100,000 rows. Without row owners, each user would be downloading 100k rows worth of data and recomputing any computed columns for each row. Now if you had 200 users and used row owners, then each user would average only 500 rows that would be downloaded and computed.

So, depending on how the app and data are set up, 25k total rows isn’t really anything to worry about. Instead consider how much data is sent to the user once they open the app and it does it’s initial data sync.

3 Likes

Yeah, this I understand. And I recognize the limitations. I’m not sure the way my app is set up that I’d be able to use row owners effectively. My app has an in game economy and downloading the ledger (which is growing) is an important part of the mechanics. Hard to make a community product on Glide using Row Owners. And I realize that if the community grows considerably then Glide would need to be a stepping stone to something else. But I will say that given the Glide vision is to have most software built by Glide by 2030, having all that computation happening on the front end, and all that data downloaded to do it seems like a hurdle that would need to be jumped at some point.

Ultimately, I just want to know that, for now, going past that 25k limit (which my understanding was set because of Google Sheet’s bottlenecking, not Glide Tables) isn’t going to cripple my app. And I wonder why some of my Glide Tables don’t increase that count and others do. And why you’d need them to count those rows anyway if Glide Tables can exceed the data limit of GSheets. Unless this is prep for more paid features.

1 Like

Who knows… I guess I would expect glide table rows to be counted as long as they are used in the app. I’ve never looked at the counts that close in my apps And compared to the counts in sheets or tables.

I don’t think you would run into any hard limits once you cross 25k. At worst you may see a very gradual introduction of lag if the data set becomes very large. Even then, as long as you aren’t attempting to show 100k row in a single list on one screen, you may be fine. Also consider image caching if you are trying to cache and display a lot of rows with images at once.

I also think computed columns are only computed once they are needed. I have an app with 7000+ rows that initially loads quickly and functions without issues, but I have one tab that (due to how I currently have it designed) uses a relation that links to a computed column, so it has to run computations on about 4500 rows before the relation can pull back data. That can take about 5 seconds to load. That table does have some heaving calculations along with another related table of about 1000 rows with more heavy calculations. Once that’s all done and computed, then the app is snappy until I close and reopen it.

I did a test about a year ago with 120k rows in a google sheet. Nothing complex, but I was loading it in a single inline list. That did create very considerable lag as I think I was pushing the limits of my phone and computer’s available system memory. I think the biggest problem was trying to show all that data at once. If I would have broke it down and only displayed a handful of rows at once, it probably would have functioned much better.

I think Glide’s focus will be data for the foreseeable future, so maybe they will make improvements to data handling. I can’t think of the right term off the top of my head, but it would be nice to see some sort of on demand data loading where the app would pull partial data, but then background load more as it’s needed or requested.

5 Likes

Yeah, thankfully, my app never needs to display a ton of data at once. Just download it for calculation (which I imagine will slow as my ledgers grow). But it’s an events app, and at least for now, there isn’t much being displayed on individual event pages–the most perhaps being lists of attendees and links to their profiles… and the calendar only displays in two week chunks. If the community grew considerably and the calendar suddenly had thousands of events in that two week period then I’d likely be in the place to build something else or if the member ledger grew too large to reasonably display a member directory.

1 Like

I don’t know if your app is sheet or table based, but maybe if you have some time when the app isn’t being used much, maybe it would be worth creating a table and loading it up with a bunch of dummy data and add a hidden tab or screen that only you can access. Much easier with a google sheet, but you could also do it with a glide table and a custom action that adds a bunch of rows at once to that table (just add a button that adds 10 or so rows at a time and repeatedly tap on the button for awhile). Then you could see how the app reacts with a bunch of extra data and maybe play around with adding some computed columns as well. It would be a way to load test the app, but the tab/screen could be easily removed or you could easily switch that tab/screen to reference a duplicate table with no data to quickly revert it if speed becomes an issue.

Here’s some semi-relavant posts that might give you an idea of limitations and what glide is capable of.

1 Like

Here a sample with 160 thousand rows, not bad for a free App. :wink:
SAMPLE

1 Like

Yeah, read that first one from Mark a while back as well as that old one about scalability. The enterprise post is a good read on this. Looking forward to the GSheets/GTables conversion. I have one particular worksheet in GSheets that has no formulas and I’m dying to convert it to a GTable without just manually creating it anew (which would involve copy and pasting all of it’s data from 200 rows into a new GTable and adding all the necessary Computed Columns and then going through the whole app and swapping out all uses of the original Sheets Columns to the new columns in the new GTable version. Easily 40 hours of work or more. If there was a button that just said, “Convert this Worksheet to a Glide Table” allowing me to keep some of my other important GSheet worksheets that do use formulas, that’ll be so so so goooooooood.

1 Like

Wow. Nice.