In-App Sort and Filter missing from inline_List component

Missing In-App sort and In-App filter for inline-list component!

Probably not necessarily missing, but just that it’s never been an option for inline lists. As far as I know it’s only available in one of the list style views. I suppose it could be confusing or not work correctly if you had a detail view with multiple inline lists. Since the filter and sort are shown at the top of the screen, there’s not way to differentiate which list they pertain to in a detail view. Would be a nice feature though.

2 Likes

Brand new newcomer. I had the same question. I can add a search to an inline list so not sure why I can’t add a filter. If not an inline list, what can I create an in-app filter on? Here’s my simple test app: https://shivering-wash-6254.glideapp.io/

TIA

PS: Came over from Bubble. Glide is blowing my mind so far.

1 Like

Hi Malcolm,

The only case when you can’t add an in-app filter to a list is when you’re doing it on a details view.

On a details view, you can have multiple inline lists so a filter may be confusing if you’re having inline lists from multiple sources.

Hope you enjoy the time here! Tell us if you need any help.

1 Like

Thanks!

My current stumbling block is primary/foreign key relationships between parent/child objects.

E.g. a social post is for one user and one item. I’m used to UUIDs for all data objects. To continue my project I need to be able to add a new post for an existing user and - if it doesn’t exist - create a new item before creating the new user/item post.

Still looking for tutorials/examples of that in action.

I almost always use rowIDs to reference between tables.

Can you go into more details on what doesn’t exist here?

1 Like

Thanks for replying!

Is there a tutorial or example app I can look at that illustrates using rowIDs to uniquely identify data object instances? My 3 key data objects are users, items, and posts.

Fyi, I’m from a relational database background so I think in terms of joins between data objects (tables) using primary and foreign keys that are always UUIDs.

Here’s a use case.

Malcolm is a user. He wants to add Queens Gambit (an item) to his todo list. Queens Gambit does not yet exist in the database. So to add it to his todo list: 1) Need to add Queens Gambit to the database as a new item; 2) Need to create new post for user=Malcolm and item=Queens Gambit. Hope that clarifies.

This got me some of the way there wrt user posts. But it doesn’t address the situation where multiple users can create a post for the same item. How to build an Instagram clone app! With NO CODE! (Full Tutorial) - YouTube

While I’m not sure @Robert_Petitto - a fellow Glide Certified Expert has a specific video for this, here’s his channel and I’m sure you’ll learn loads from these:

Regarding your database, I think the structure should be like this, assuming you mean a to-do list is stored in the Posts sheet.

Users: User’s RowID, Name, Email, Image, etc.
Items: Item’s RowID, User’s RowID (owner of item), Item Name, Item Image, etc.
Posts: Post’s RowID, Item’s RowID (that is linked with post), Post Name, etc.

In your specific example, assuming Malcolm wants to add Queens Gambit to Posts sheet but it has not existed in the Items sheet, you can build it like this.

In a normal form to add to Posts sheet, add a choice component for the “item”. If item has not existed then users can use a form button to add to the Items sheet, then that choice value will be immediately available to them in the choice component.

Another choice is a custom form, which gives you more flexibility but involves more columns to be created.

2 Likes

Thanks again! I’ll check Robert’s channel.

To be sure I’m understanding you…

In the image below I could use UIDs instead of email address?

So my Post sheet has a column for UserID and my User sheet has a column for UserID and I match on those instead of email address?

Yes, generally it’s a good approach in my opinion. You don’t have to reuse emails everywhere in your data, use IDs instead.

1 Like