šŸ’Ž Gamify Glide Apps (Updated 2022-11-28 - Episode 11: Craft Items)

@Jeff_Hager Check this out!!!

3 Likes

Now we need to rebrand this methodā€¦weā€™re not slinging anything anywhere anymoreā€¦weā€™re comparing unique valuesā€¦thoughts?

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 1.18.47 PM
Seeing this and being like:

4 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s exactly what I was thinking.

Itā€™s still trebucheting that joined list somewhere else if you choose, so I think the name still applies. :wink:

Again, this probably doesnā€™t work as well if you arenā€™t working directly with the listā€¦but as I think about it more, I image if you had a choice component and a button, you could probably use a set column through a single relation to clear or set the UUID.

I also have an idea to use this same method for a shopping cart style app that would work with selections as well as quantities. It would need some additional actions to wipe out the quantity when the UUID changes on the item, but I think it could work quite well. I just havenā€™t sat down to create a sample app yet.

3 Likes

Hi Robert I keep getting an error when trying to use the chart method from the second episode.

Quickchart will return this error when your chart isnā€™t properly defined. Debugging this can be difficult, but what I usually do:

• Use the sandbox to ensure you have the chart defined correctly
  • reduce the amount of data in the chart to just a couple of data points
  • display the chart using a rich text component. This will expose the generated URL, which you can then paste into a browser window for further debugging

You might need to watch the next episode (2.1) to fix.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for this wonderful Reboot Series! Iā€™m stuck with an issue involving the progress display. Some of the profile images wonā€™t show up with a transparent background. I ran some test by replacing ā€œtransparentā€ by ā€œblackā€ and ā€œwhiteā€. Some pictures only show when on those backgrounds.

Is there a way to fix this? Tell me if you need to see anything in the data.

Thank you so much for your time!

Hm. Transparent is a bit spotty, ya. Might just need to go with White.

Do you have an estimated time for the next episode?, this series is so great, thanks for sharing.

Iā€™ve been slammed with client work these past couple months. I hope to at least finish up the Boss Battle series by the end of the month.

Episode 7: Boss Battlesā€”Part 3!

• Logic to retreat if all members perish
  • Logic to remove party members that are defeated

Episode 8: Inventory Item Admin Approval

• Allow users to ā€œuseā€ items
  • View and approve items used as an admin
4 Likes

Episode 9: Earn, Award and Display Badges

• Allow users to see a list of possible badges
  • Allow users to claim badges that theyā€™ve earned
  • Allow admins to manually award badges to users
3 Likes

Episode 10: Item Packs

:point_right: Purchase and open a random set of items
:point_right: Determine rarity and probability of items
:point_right: Hide items until users open them

2 Likes

Hey Rob, amazing videos as usual. I tried to copy the profile section perfectly but ran into 1 bug. Upon submitting their onboarding information, the profile picture is an error code. Its fixed by completely exiting/closing the app and reopening it. Is there a way to fix this or force the app to reload upon hitting submit? pictures included

Episode 11: Craft Items

In this video, learn how to add a new layer of gamificationā€”crafting items! Just like Minecraft, allow users to create new items from materials in their inventory! :pick:

1 Like

Is there another reboot? I have been working through the first series with a lot of difficulty until I heard there was this reboot.

I am still having trouble now in late 2023 following the reboot. So far I canā€™t find the swipe action or the signed-in user choice as I follow along.

Maybe you could make the final product available as a template?

Itā€™s not available in the new Glide Apps.

Can you show a screenshot or point us to this part in the video?

The template store is having problems at the moment, so might be not the best choice.

Iā€™m in a time crunch, so I decided to go back to my original design for now. On my button bar issue, I am just going to have each one go to a new screen. I am hoping that is not inefficient enough to cause me quota problems on starter until I get approved for educational.

Since I have to go back to school next week, I am going to have to release inventory and item store later. Live battles look like a long way off at this point unless I can get a copy of Robert_Petittoā€™s app he developed in the tutorials. Sighā€¦