Choice Component in app suddenly is grayed out...not sure why

Was working fine until yesterday and have been trying to figure out why. Nothing in Features is set to invisible. Adding another Choice Component on the same page targeting a different column also does not work. Spreadsheet seems fine. Have done the usual reset page etc.
Have also created another app using the same spreadsheet and it seems to work fine.

Any thoughts as to why would be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 5.33.09 PM

1 Like

Is this a form or a detail view? If a detail view, are you cutting an actual row, it so you have the screen filtered so you are not viewing a row? If the choice component can’t attach to a row column, then it will be grayed out. Can’t really tell for sure with your screenshots.

@Jeff_Hager - thanks for getting back to me. I am using a detailed view.

But I am not sure if I am interpreting “If a detail view, are you cutting an actual row, it so you have the screen filtered so you are not viewing a row?” correctly.

But if you meant:
“If a detail view, are you viewing an actual row, if so you have to have the screen filtered so you are not viewing a row?”

I am not sure I understand. I have not filtered the screen. How do you screen a filter to not see a row??

Thanks for any further feedback.

I recreated the app and did everything over and the same thing happened again (ie. the Choice component is grayed out again).
Also, is there a memory issue with Choice that I should be aware of? It seems like it does not list the latest choices I have added to the choice options. I used @Jeff_Hager suggested method below to add to my choice options.

Yeah, I always seem to misspell words when typing on my phone. You were close with the interpretation. Yes ‘cutting’ should have read as ‘viewing’. What I meant to say is that you should make sure you are not viewing an empty or non-existent row. This will prevent you from making any edits because there is no row to edit.

I’m not aware of a memory issue with the choice component. I would verify in the data editor that the column you are using for your choices contains all the values you expect to see and that you don’t have any filters set on the choice component.

1 Like

I still have the Choice being grayed out problem. But I used the same tab that powered the details page within same app to create another details page to see if the Choice component would still be grayed out. It was not. So in the same app, I have two detailed pages using the same tab to source a Choice component - one is grayed out and the other is not.

I also discovered another problem that makes me think this might be memory related.

Attached is a screenshot of the choices from the new details page I made within the same app and you will notice that the list ends with the name “howard hughes”. I cannot scroll down any further.

If I look at the column from the data field, however, it has 2 names after “howard hughes” - “peter fignolia” and “hailey brown” which are not visible in the app. These 2 additional names are also visible in my spreadsheet (attached). Furthermore, if i use the search bar in the app and type in “hailey” i find the name “hailey brown” - it just is not visible as part of the choice component in the app. I only have 25 names…surely that is below whatever limit the app has???

screenshot from spreadsheet - all rows visible:

screenshot from data editor - all rows visible:

screenshot from app - last 2 rows missing:

There has to be some sort of setting for the choice component to be grayed out. I can only think of a filter on the choice component, or your view is not attached to a row in the sheet, or maybe you are using row owners. It’s hard to say without seeing more of the app, or a scrubbed version that I could copy to see all of your settings.

I still have a hard time believing there is a memory issue. Large lists of choices is what prompted the addition of the search ability within a choice component, so many people have had very large lists to choose from. Have you tried viewing from a phone? Do you have the same issue there? Sometimes the app will scale weird within the emulator in the builder. That can all depend on your browser as well as zoom settings, but is only an issue in the builder. I guess I would also check for any filtering or row owner settings here as well.

Man I’m having the exact same issue. It was working great until suddently stopped working. Did you find a solution??!! @Jeff_Hager @Fassil_Befekadu

I tried replicating the app in a new project but it won’t work. I need to get this working ASAP!! :weary: :weary:

Are you sure you aren’t filtering your screen or have row owners or roles enabled, bit with no matching row owner or role. Usually when it’s greyed out, that means the app has no row to update because your filters are too aggressive.

I fixed it by just writing a space on the target row on the spreadsheet.

You mean you added a space to the target row?

I’m having the same issue, @Jeff_Hager …but I do have row owners like u asked.
Are row owners a bad idea for this choice component to work?

I however removed the row owner function but still, my choice component is still greyed out

I also have filter by the signed-in user…should that be a problem?

Row Owners and filtering are only a problem if they caus the screen to not be attached to any existing rows of data. A detail screen is only useful if there is a row of data to show. If you do not have any rows, or you have filtered the screen in such a way that filters out all of the rows, or you have applied row owners and the current signed in user does not have any owned rows, then yes it will be a problem because there are no details to show and there is no row that can be updated by choice or entry components.

3 Likes

Well, I do have row owners and even if the current sign-in user has a row it greys out the choice component. It’s also confusing because it works sometimes but at other times it just greys out.

This particular sheet is a temporary holding sheet, I created this one to allow users to browse for products, preview the picture of the product then submit to another life (if you recall this thread; Preview product image based on selection form choice component - #16 by ThinhDinh)

Would it make sense to add columns to the user’s tab and have this done in the new columns of the user’s tab as those have a more robust row ower setup?

I would have to see screenshots or a video of your setup. In my experience, the only time a component has been grayed out was when there was no underlying row to update.

I don’t see a need to move things to the user sheet, but again I would need a better understanding of your setup and how you are using your current table.

1 Like

Closing due to inactivity. This topic will be deleted in a few weeks if there are no more comments.