Not sure if you know this but today is a holiday in the US, Memorial Day. Not sure if that’s part of the reason for delay but just letting you know.
EDIT: @Alexandre_Caruso - not sure if you thought of a worst case scenario contingency plan yet but as I tend to overthink things and come up with backup plans for almost everything, have you developed a Plan B? For example speaking for myself, we’re planning a big launch in about a month and if our app completely stopped working, I planned on changing the DNS to a backup page that explained how we’re a startup and due to the popular demand of unexpected traffic, our systems our down, in the meantime please leave your email and we’ll contact you when we’re back up and running. Helping you reach your goal is important to us and we value your relationship so we apologize for this inconvenience.
That way you can turn a negative into a positive while telling the truth to your community.
Good luck and hopefully the problem is resolved before morning tomorrow